Wednesday, March 17, 2010

You are never too old to......(fill in the blank!)

     Let's start with the facts.... I teach sign language.  DUH!  But, what you may not know is that the average age of a student in my classes or workshops is not the typical college aged student.  Nor is this student between birth to 18 years old. Nope the median age of my students is up around the 30 year old mark.  HUH!?!  How did that happen?  Well, quite simply I have noticed a trend where many of my sign language students are parents, business owners, healthcare professionals, first responders or senior citizens.  I have one class now, in which one of my students is retired from NASA and helped to create the Hubbell Telescope.  (Trust me I stopped using the phrase- "This is easy, its' not ROCKET SCIENCE" during this class!)

    Since today is my birthday I wanted to reiterate to those of us who are a bit "mature" that is is NEVER too late to learn ANY SKILL! Go ahead and learn to make the quilt you always wanted, dance the Zumba, learn conversational Italian and then go take that dream trip to Italy!  And if you are so inclined, learn the fourth most common language used in the United States- Sign Language.

     I would love to know... what is on your "must learn" list?  Well, let us all know here and maybe you will help to inspire someone else.

     Have a great day!

    

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to YOU!!! Thank you for helping us cross off our "must learn" item with teaching the girls and I how to SIGN. We love your videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Louise! Thanks for reminding us that learning is lifelong, and there are new opportunities every day!

    On my "must learn" or 'improve current abilities' wish list, not necessarily in this order...

    HTML, Spanish, Bahasa Indonesia, Islamic tradition, sign language, SEO/SEM, and statistics (or advanced data analytics). I'm also always looking for ways to be a better parent and person -- how best to communicate with and guide others effectively, resolve conflict non-violently, be most helpful, and contribute most positively to the world we live in.

    How about you? What's on your 'must learn' list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My "must learn" list? I want to learn more about computers! How to maybe design blogs, websites and more!

    Also, as an avid photography buff I am always looking to learn to take the "perfect shot".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated Birthday! My b-day is today and I am now 53.

    So my "must learn list": I want to learn sign language more fluently (all I know right now is what babies/children learn); ballroom dancing; a foreign language; quilting; painting (like Bob Ross landscapes) and I'm sure there are more, but that's what comes first to mind.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter / Louiseasl

Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

I CAN COUNT TO TEN IN ASL, ENGLISH AND SPANISH!

I CAN COUNT TO TEN IN ASL, ENGLISH AND SPANISH!
An interactive trilingual book to teach young children basic math skills! Learn three languages at one time. Available at Harris Communications or directly from SigningFamilies.com

BABY, TODDLER AND PRESCHOOL SIGN LANGUAGE

BABY, TODDLER AND PRESCHOOL SIGN LANGUAGE
Made especially for adults and older children to learn the basics of sign language and teach younger children or individuals with special learning challenges. Available on our Signing Families website, Amazon, Harris Communications , Barnes and Noble and many more sites.
Powered By Blogger

Followers