Thursday, January 14, 2010

"What's Up with My Family?"- Another great book by Annie Fox

     It was my pleasure to have recently been asked by Annie Fox to review her newest installment to her Middle School Confidential series- What's Up with My Family?  


     I LOVE IT!  And I am so pleased that Annie will be an upcoming guest on my radio show, Learning and Laughter with Louise!- April 28th  


     Here is my review- ENJOY!


******************************************************************************



  Review of “Middle School Confidential- 
       What’s Up with My Family”
 By Louise Masin Sattler, NCSP
 Nationally Certified School Psychologist
 Host of Learning and Laughter with Louise!




            Once again, Annie Fox and her Middle School Confidential series created a book that connects so well with the contemporary pulse of tweens and teens on the complicated subject of family relationships- What’s Up with My Family


             What’s Up with My Family is presented in Ms. Fox’s trademark style of meshing both a fictional story line within comic book illustrations, by Matt Kindt. Then she cleverly intertwines her ongoing story with pearls of wisdom as presented by input from students.  This interactive and engaging layout lets the reader learn and feel entertained at the same time.  At no time does the content of the book fall in to the realm of being insensitive or patronizing to the reader.


            As a School Psychologist, I appreciated that What’s Up with My Family was able to engage the reader by presenting “tough talks” on topics ranging from sibling rivalry, divorce, loss, blended families, trust issues between parent and child and so much more.  Ms. Fox focuses the reader on the value of a family, no matter how it is constructed.   Moreover, the guided questions, quick quizzes and “did you know” features were very much on target in getting difficult messages across and jump starting conversations within a family.


            I loved What’s Up with My Family and hope that families and schools will find this book in to the hands of tweens and teens worldwide.  Bravo to Annie Fox for her wonderful writing and Matt Kindt for his amazing and intuitive illustrations! I look forward to the next installment of Middle School Confidential!






   


          

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this enthusiastic review, Louise. I really appreciate it. Those of us who care about tweens & teens know that "the family" piece is the foundation of their healthy social/emotional dev. No one gets to choose their family, and no family is perfectly cooperative and loving all the time, but as I point out in "What's Up With My Family?" tweens/teens can improve any situation at home by checking in with their own reactions and seeing how they might be contributing to a more positive or more negative family environment.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter / Louiseasl

Support the Haiti Disaster Relief Effort

I CAN COUNT TO TEN IN ASL, ENGLISH AND SPANISH!

I CAN COUNT TO TEN IN ASL, ENGLISH AND SPANISH!
An interactive trilingual book to teach young children basic math skills! Learn three languages at one time. Available at Harris Communications or directly from SigningFamilies.com

BABY, TODDLER AND PRESCHOOL SIGN LANGUAGE

BABY, TODDLER AND PRESCHOOL SIGN LANGUAGE
Made especially for adults and older children to learn the basics of sign language and teach younger children or individuals with special learning challenges. Available on our Signing Families website, Amazon, Harris Communications , Barnes and Noble and many more sites.
Powered By Blogger

Followers